A suicide car bomber has killed at least seven people near the presidential palace in the Somali capital, Mogadishu. The attack took place on Saturday. District police chief Mukawi Ahmed Mude told reporters that eight people were injured in the attack.
The militant group al-Sabab claimed responsibility for the attack in a brief statement, the BBC reported.
The bomber struck shortly after noon in front of a convoy heading to the presidential palace. The attack took place when the convoy was stopped due to a busy checkpoint.
An eyewitness told AFP that police stopped a driver near a checkpoint for a security check. That’s when the bomb exploded.
The eyewitness, Mohammad Hasan, said, “Police stopped a normal vehicle and checked it while crossing the checkpoint. The security guard stopped the car and it left. There were many cars and people around at that time. I have seen a lot of casualties. ‘
Witnesses told the BBC that seven cars and three rickshaws had been destroyed in the blast.
Hours before the blast, another suicide bomber struck in front of Mogadishu’s army headquarters. No one was injured in the incident.
Many in the country have criticized Somali politicians for worsening the country’s security situation. They say the situation is due to the delayed election process and growing tensions between the president and the prime minister.